You are here: Language Travel Guide : Official language exams : English


There is a slight difference between British and American exams.
The recognition of Cambridge English exams is assured in the United Kingdom whist the TOEFL and TOEIC exams are recognised in the United States.

Before going ahead to do one exam or the other, define what you are going to use it for. If you do not foresee using it in a specific country for the time being, opt for one of the Cambridge exams as these have indisputable academic renown.

Cambridge exams:

Cambridge exams are internationally recognised. They enjoy a very good reputation and are recognised by universities, employers and national educational authorities as proof of a certain language level reached. In addition, many universities recognise the CAE and CPE as certification, giving access to higher studies of the English language. Cambridge ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) is part of the prestigious Univesrity of Cambridge and offers different English language exams for foreign students.

KET (Key English Test)
PET (Preliminary English Test)
FCE (First Cambridge Exam)
CAE (Certificate in Advanced English)
CPE (Certificate of Proficiency in English)
BEC (Business English Certificate)

IELTS (International English Language Testing System)

American exams:

TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
TOEIC (Test of English in International Communication)